Photo credit: Ying Zhang
Muhammad Aamir Cheema
Last modified: Friday, 30th January, 2015
The news below are short-listed based on significance and freshness. To read all news items (sorted by dates), please see Archived News.
Muhammad Aamir Cheema is currently a Lecturer (since Nov-2013) at Monash University and an Adjunct Lecturer at UNSW. Prior to this, he was a Research Fellow (2011-2013) at School of Computer
Science and Engineering at The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. He obtained his Ph.D. degree (2008-2011) under the joint supervision of
Prof. Xuemin Lin and Dr. Wei Wang from
UNSW, Australia. His Ph.D. thesis studied efficient processing of proximity-based spatial queries such as reverse k nearest neighbors queries, range queries
and k-closest pairs queries. The thesis was awarded
2012 Malcolm Chaikin Prize for Research Excellence in Engineering.
His current research interests include spatial databases, uncertain databases, data privacy and data quality.
Before he started Ph.D., he served as Associate Lecturer at School of Computer Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales, Australia. He taught Database Systems (COMP9311) in 07s2.
He received Masters by Research degree in Computer Science and Engineering from UNSW, Australia (2005-2007) under the supervision of Prof. Xuemin Lin.
The research problem addressed in the thesis was
related to Nearest Neighbor Queries in Spatio-Temporal Databases. Interested readers can read this thesis (in form of HTML pages) or pdf file.
He completed Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (specialization in Computers)
from UET Lahore, Pakistan, from 2001 to 2005.
- Winner of 2014 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research by an Early Career Researcher.
- Our paper titled Probabilistic n-of-N Skyline Computation over Uncertain Data Streams received The Best Paper Award at WISE 2013 and invited to Special Issue of WWWJ on Best Papers of WISE 2013.
- Winner of Discovery Early Career Researcher Award 2013.
- Winner of 2012 Malcolm Chaikin Prize for Research Excellence in Engineering.
- Our paper titled "Efficiently Monitoring Top-k Pairs over Sliding Windows" was invited to special issue of IEEE-TKDE on "Best Papers of ICDE 2012".
(Authors: Zhitao Shen, Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Haixun Wang).
- In ICDE 2011, all authors were invited to present a poster in addition to a regular 20 minutes presentation. Our poster won
Poster of the day award at ICDE2011.
- Winner of 2010 CiSRA Best Research Paper Award for the paper titled "Influence Zone: Efficiently Processing Reverse k Nearest Neighbors Queries",
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Ying Zhang).
- Winner of 2009 CiSRA Best Research Paper Award for the paper titled "Lazy Updates: An Efficient Technique to Continuously Monitoring Reverse kNN",
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin, Ying Zhang, Wei Wang, Wenjie Zhang).
- Our paper titled "Multi-Guarded Safe Zone: An Effective Technique to Monitor Moving Circular Range Queries" was invited to special issue of IEEE-TKDE on "Best Papers of ICDE 2010".
(Authors: Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Ljiljana Brankovic, Xuemin Lin, Wenjie Zhang, Wei Wang).
- Best Paper of ADC (Australasian Database Conference) 2010 for the paper titled "Counting Distinct Objects over Sliding Windows",
(Authors: Wenjie Zhang, Ying Zhang, Muhammad Aamir Cheema, Xuemin Lin).
- Winner of ACM@UNSW 2005 programming competition.
- Third position in South Pacific Programming Contest Sydney Region.
- Winner of scholarship offered by Ministery of Science and Technology Pakistan.
Extra Curricular Achievments
- Urdu Editor of ECHO 2005, Official magazine of UET Lahore.
- "Best Humorous Writer Award" consecutively two years for Essay writing competitions held in 2003 and 2004 in UET Lahore. I have been writing to different famous pakistani monthly magazines like Urdu Digest. I have also been writing for children magazines. Here are some of Humorous Articles written by me.
- Winner of Annual Skit Competition organized by Dramatic Society UET Lahore.My skit "Jungle Online" got best skit award in 2003 and "Death Impossible" got best production award in 2004.
- Participated in All Pakistan Inter Board Badminton tournament held in Larkana as a member of Multan board team.
- Participated in First Pakistan University Games as a Captain of Badminton team of UET Lahore.
- Participated as a goal keeper of hockey team which secured first position in Inter Faculty tournament 2003.
- Participated as a captain of table tennis team of Electrical Engineering which got Runner up prize in Inter-faculty competition 2004.